Monday, June 06, 2005
Latest Jack the Ripper Books
I've received three new (for me) Jack the Ripper books. What is usually irritating to me is the "keep the suspect secret" marketing style of these books, like this will increase interest. I'll buy the book, I'm already interested. I don't need to "guess" the suspect, as the important thing is the evidence, not who it is. The three I've just bought are:

Uncle Jack by Tony Williams and Humphrey Price--Suspect: John Williams, relative of author.
The American Murders of Jack the Ripper by R. Michael Gordon--Suspect: George Chapman
Jack the Ripper: The Inquest of the Final Victim by John Smithkey III--Suspect: None Singled Out

If I've spoiled anyone's reading, so sorry.

Check Casebook: Jack the Ripper for more info on these books. Early reading of them still doesn't move me to think they'll surpass Jack the Ripper A to Z by Begg, Fido and Skinner as THE Jack the Ripper book.

And all of these are keeping me from doing the reading I'm supposed to be doing for my comps this fall. Still, I'm on Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories so I can sort of make a case that these books tie in to the "Victorian detective" genre.
posted by Lavaughn Towell @ 6:49 PM | 2 comments

2 Comments:
At 10:44 PM, Blogger ET said...

That and all this crazy blogging (things keeping you from doing your reading this summer). Oh, and sometimes work. Blech!

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Lavaughn Towell said...

No problem, percys world. Welcome. I believe that's the basis of the Uncle Jack book. Tony Williams says his great uncle Jack, a famous Welsh physician, was Jack the Ripper. Among the artifacts endowed to the library that he started was a knife. This must be where the BBC got the story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Thomas Neill Cream
Thomas Griffiths Wainewright
Frederick Deeming
The Bravo Case
Madeleine Smith
Constance Kent
William Palmer
My Ripper Inventory
JTRForums.com
Ripper Notes
Ripperologist
Hollywood Ripper
Jack the Ripper Forum
Archives: Jack the Ripper
The Whitechapel Society
Largest German Jack the Ripper Site
The Victorian Web
Victorian Dictionary
Victoria Research Web

The Final Solution by Walter Harmidarow
Powered by Blogger
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.0 License