Monday, May 30, 2005
Future Money
Now that I'm in my mid-30s, I'm starting to think more and more about having enough money in the future. With Dubya messing with Social Security, who knows what will be left when I retire? Not that I really thought it would be there when I turn 65 (or 67, or 70, depending on Bush's plans), and not that I planned to try and live on it either. But I have certain plans and I wonder how to better prepare myself for an eventual move and purchase of a home in the place where I plan to live the rest of my life. I just don't want to end up being cold-called by people like this when I'm looking for financial advice. Plus, my father died at 65 and even with early retirement, he had no time to enjoy himself before succumbing to illness. If the average life expectancy for males in the US is 72 and the Social Security eligibility age gets raised to that, what does that say about how we feel about old people in this country? Aren't they supposed to be the biggest voting bloc in this country? It's bad enough that they're saying you have to work for 50 years for a couple of years of leisure. Man, I'm morbid today.

Well, happy Memorial Day.

We cooked out today and no one's lawn is on fire, so everything went well. Just the fiasco we went through the day before yesterday trying to buy a grill was enough for me to want to immolate myself, so I'm happy with our little charcoal grill that we can replace in the future. Everything's about the future.

Does anyone know where I can find a site that has Jack the Ripper merchandise? Besides EBay? I can't believe that I can't find one. There's a Black Museum on the London Bridge, but it has no website. C'mon! Get with the aughts!
posted by Lavaughn Towell @ 6:31 PM | 1 comments

1 Comments:
At 11:08 PM, Blogger ET said...

As for "future money" all I can say is INVEST or open an IRA. Of course, this means I will have to invest as well...which means exchanging a handbag or some other instant gratification for the idea of security somewhere down the road. Although as high-end items go as "investments" in their own right, I must invoke Vimes's "boots theory of economics" in this instance. That aside, we ARE getting older, LT, and I guess it's time we acknowledge that retirement MIGHT not be that far away (I really wanted to retire at 45, but we'll see) and start forking money in the direction of my broker. Hell, maybe one of these days we'll even have health insurance! It seems odd to be investing when we are still taking out student loans...but oh well. You and I never do ANYTHING the easy way. = )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Thomas Neill Cream
Thomas Griffiths Wainewright
Frederick Deeming
The Bravo Case
Madeleine Smith
Constance Kent
William Palmer
My Ripper Inventory
JTRForums.com
Ripper Notes
Ripperologist
Hollywood Ripper
Jack the Ripper Forum
Archives: Jack the Ripper
The Whitechapel Society
Largest German Jack the Ripper Site
The Victorian Web
Victorian Dictionary
Victoria Research Web

The Final Solution by Walter Harmidarow
Powered by Blogger
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.0 License