Tuesday, June 28, 2005
Students with a Higher Power
Well, back to my other passion--bashing fools. In the counseling office last week, a woman came in looking to enroll in classes. She said she wanted to sign a waiver and get into some classes she needed for prerequisites to a Nursing degree. This wouldn't be a problem except that she had no ACT or SAT score. In order to sign a waiver, a person must be over 21 and state that the scores they got on either the SAT, ACT or our own Computer Placement Test are not indicative of how well they'll do in college. See the problem? She wanted to sign a waiver, but had nothing to waive! She wouldn't listen to me and said "they" told her she could. Who is they? I had a colleague who would say that "THEY" are making things tough for us and "THEY" should be taken out and shot. So I tell her that she needs to take our test and she tells me she doesn't need to. Oh, so you don't WANT to. That's different. Fine. Every other one of the 20,000 students must have the scores, but you don't want to take the test. Fine. She tells me that she "can just walk in off the street and sign a waiver and get into Chemistry 4 if I want." Well, no you can't. So she says, "I don't have time to take the test, I have a daughter in the hospital, both my kids were in AP classes and already have college credit even though they're still in high school." What's that got to do with her? Then she tells me she has run two different companies. So? Why do you need to be a nurse, then, if you're so successful? She says, "It's funny that everyone else is wrong and you're right." At this point, I'm through talking and just begin to repeat myself, saying I have nothing to waive-- the tactic I use when people seem to be just hanging around my office and don't know when it's time to leave. Only then does she tell me she went to college sometime in the 70s (she kept telling me she was 48, I don't know many women who would admit to that, much less keep repeating it as if it made a difference). If you have enough college credit, there are certain things we can do to get around the CPT tests. She still didn't have enough to get out of taking our math test, though. So I sent her to the Nursing Division to ask them. If all else fails, fob them off, right? I tell her that if she had taken a math course in college, we could work around the CPT then. She says, "I could lie, but I have someone higher to answer to." And she points upward, as if I were too stupid to figure out what she was talking about. So I think, "Oh, you can be a bitch but you can't be a liar. I get it." I swear, this went on for about 30 minutes, with me saying the same thing over and over. I even say that it may seem like the only requirement to get into a junior college is that you have a pulse, but there have to be some standards. She then repeats that she's run two companies and does her family's finances, so she doesn't need a math class. I thought about this woman's future patients when she becomes a nurse and cringed. Just pull the plug on me, thanks.
posted by Lavaughn Towell @ 9:17 AM | 4 comments

4 Comments:
At 12:37 PM, Blogger ET said...

Since I HAVE a chemistry degree from the school you speak of, I can assure your readers that no one cannot walk in off the street and take a Chemistry 4 class. There IS no Chemistry 4. And any ties between chemistry and running a company and/or writing checks to cover household bills are wholly irrelevant. One has nothing to do with the other.

And 48 with two (at least) kids still in high school? Must have been a late bloomer. Or it took her that long to save up enough for the artificial insemination.

I like the use of a child in the hospital as an excuse to not take the test. Um, if it was that important to you, why are you THERE and not AT THE HOSPITAL and, if it is simply a time issue, you could have taken the damn test (they're easy...I've done them) and just been done with it in the time you spent arguing.

Rest assured...I have it on good authority that sometimes students get booted out of the nursing program. And if not, I'm sure some doctor (who WENT through all of the hoops and coursework) will give her a sound smack when she cops an attitude with him.

As for the higher power...if her God is with her, who can be against, her, eh? Religious claptrap. People who use God to justify being assholes are disgusting. And I have seen a LOT of them.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Between the three of us, I'd say we've probably met about 95% of the fools out there. Good for sticking to your guns again, LT!

I do all sorts of math stuff at my job, but you don't want me measuring out your anything to put in your IV.

Also, my parents were average bloomers and then late bloomers. Dad is 52; mom is 50. They've got a 13 and a 14 year old. I have no idea. Don't ask; don't tell.

I have an aunt with an 8 year old and a 3 year old. 44. REALLY late bloomer. She's an optometrist, though, so at least she has that whole "woman with a career" thing working for her.

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger ET said...

Yes, and I bet your aunt TOOK the tests required of her to get into optometry school!

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

You are correct! She did. It is, however, Oklahoma so you never know, though. She was around 21, though. I meant she was a late bloomer on birthin' kiddos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Thomas Neill Cream
Thomas Griffiths Wainewright
Frederick Deeming
The Bravo Case
Madeleine Smith
Constance Kent
William Palmer
My Ripper Inventory
JTRForums.com
Ripper Notes
Ripperologist
Hollywood Ripper
Jack the Ripper Forum
Archives: Jack the Ripper
The Whitechapel Society
Largest German Jack the Ripper Site
The Victorian Web
Victorian Dictionary
Victoria Research Web

The Final Solution by Walter Harmidarow
Powered by Blogger
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.0 License