Friday, June 17, 2005
Jason said:
I loved that movie, but Kentucky Fried Movie was better.Have you read From Hell? The comic is a lot better than the movie, though they still had the drugged grapes theory.

Yes, I've read the comic and seen the movie. You're right, the comic is better, but I think the Hughes Brothers did a marvelous job on atmosphere. Still, it was for me like Stephen King said the movie The Shining was for him: "a big beautiful car with no engine." It left me saying, "Eh." That's not what a movie is supposed to do. I really like Johnny Depp, but Abberline as a Cockney, good-looking, slight man?
posted by Lavaughn Towell @ 8:34 PM | 5 comments

5 Comments:
At 9:29 PM, Blogger ET said...

Well, at least there was no acting requirement for Heather Graham's part.

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Lavaughn Towell said...

Is THAT what she was doing? I thought she was just there so her breasts had a way to move from scene to scene.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Do I need to add this movie to my to see list?

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Lavaughn Towell said...

If you like Johnny Depp and want a "vaguely" good background of the murders, yes I would see From Hell. Just be sure not to believe every bit of the "clues" and "facts" of the murders.

There are some anachronistic errors as well, such as policemen sporting flashlights instead of lanterns when flashlights hadn't been invented yet.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Jason said...

I definitely liked what the Hughes bros did with the movie, and if they stuck with the book, it would have been 6 hours long. I'm a huge fan of Alan Moore's work. I really liked the depth of all the masonic stuff he went into in the comic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Thomas Neill Cream
Thomas Griffiths Wainewright
Frederick Deeming
The Bravo Case
Madeleine Smith
Constance Kent
William Palmer
My Ripper Inventory
JTRForums.com
Ripper Notes
Ripperologist
Hollywood Ripper
Jack the Ripper Forum
Archives: Jack the Ripper
The Whitechapel Society
Largest German Jack the Ripper Site
The Victorian Web
Victorian Dictionary
Victoria Research Web

The Final Solution by Walter Harmidarow
Powered by Blogger
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.0 License